The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is pleased to offer the Humboldt Research Fellowships for postdoctoral researchers. Scientists and scholars of all nationalities and disciplines may apply.
The program is open to highly-qualified scientists and scholars from abroad who are just embarking on their academic careers and who completed their doctorates less than four years ago1 to spend extended periods of research (6–24 months) in Germany.
Deadline: To apply, applicants submit their application online at any time.
To be eligible, the applicants must meet all the following application criteria:
- Doctorate or comparable academic degree (Ph.D., C.Sc. or equivalent), completed less than four years prior to the date of application. Candidates who have nearly completed their doctoral degrees are eligible to apply provided that they submit the manuscript of their dissertation or publications containing the results of their dissertation.
- Academic publications reviewed according to international standards and printed in journals and/or by publishing houses.
- Confirmation that research facilities are available and mentoring agreement and a detailed expert’s report by an academic host at a research institution in Germany. Details of the research outline including information on the intended duration of the fellowship must be agreed with the intended host before applying.
- Expert reviews from the doctoral supervisor and one other academic qualified to give well-founded comments on the applicant’s eligibility, preferably including a reviewer not working at the applicant’s own institute.
- Language skills: scholars in the humanities or social sciences and physicians must have a good knowledge of German if it is necessary to carry out the research successfully; otherwise a good knowledge of English; scientists and engineers must have a good knowledge of German or English.
- Applications to continue a research stay already underway can only be considered in exceptional cases. The applicant may not have spent an extended period in Germanyprior to application. Potential applicants who have been in Germany for more than six months at the time of application are not eligible to apply.
- The Humboldt-Foundation assumes that candidates will abide the Rules of Good Scientific Practice and the legally-binding principles of scientific ethics during the application and sponsorship periods.
The program will offer you all the following:
- The fellowship is worth 2,650 EUR per month. This includes a mobility lump sum and a contribution towards health and liability insurance.
- A monthly fellowship of €2,650 for postdoctoral researchers (doctorate completed within the last four years) or €3,150 for experienced researchers (doctorate completed within the last 12 years),
- A flexible starting date and – for experienced researchers – the option of splitting the fellowship up into a maximum of three stays,
- Individual mentoring during the sponsorship period,
- Intensive German language course for fellows and their marital partners prior to the fellowship,
- additional financial support for accompanying family members and items like travel expenses and
- Comprehensive alumni sponsorship once the research stay has come to an end, such as a Return Fellowship or further stays in Germany.
- In recent years, approximately 20% to 25% of applications were successful
- In addition, the Humboldt Foundation grants Georg Forster Research Awards every year to leading researchers from developing countries.
How to Apply:
To participate, the applicants must register through the link: https://www.humboldt-foundation.de/pls/web/pub_register.main?p_package=gf&p_lang=en
Supporting Documents: Applications may be submitted to the Humboldt Foundation online at any time, provided they have been duly completed and all of the following required documents have been uploaded:
- Curriculum vitae (two pages max)
- Research outline (five pages max)
- Complete list of publications
- List of selected key publications
- Key publications
- Doctoral certificate
- German language certificate, if applicable
- Host’s statement and confirmation of research facilities*
- Two expert reviews*
- Additionally, where required: publishers’ letter(s) of acceptance and/or acknowledgment(s) of receipt as well as summaries or translations of the key publications